Living with Cerebral Palsy 🍋🍋

Sunday 15 June 2014

Father's Day

I've been writing this blog since 2009 and have covered five Father's Days already. It's hard to come up with new ways to explain why Elin simply could not have wished for a better Daddy in the world. So, without quite knowing what I could say that was different this year I started to think about what Elin might say to Paul, if she could. I think she would say this:

Because of you.

My ears hear loud raucous laughter, music, daft songs that you make up about me, and the words 'I love you' a million times over. Every single day.
My eyes see bright and happy things and silly dancing and other things to make me smile. Every single day.
My mouth feels a thousand kisses and, when Mum's not looking, tastes ice cream and yummy things, it's our secret. I love it, it makes you laugh with me.  Every single day.
My nose gets 'beeped' to make me grin and smells things like the banana you peel just because I like it. Every single day.
My hands are held and squeezed, over and over, when I'm upset. And you help me to touch things, anything, everything. My favourite is when I feel the pages of my bedtime story with you. Every single day.
My arms are wrapped around your neck whilst you carry me, to wherever in the house you are going, because you want me to come too and can't bear to leave me on my own. Every single day.
My legs are splinted and strapped because you are worried about the turns in my feet. but you talk and talk and talk while you do it, in case I don't like it, because you cannot be sure. Every single day.
My feet are tickled and stroked, especially at bed time when there are no socks. You squish them and call them trotters and I giggle. Every single day.
My body is cuddled to bed and I lie by the nightlight you fixed on the wall, because you worry I might be scared of the dark and I listen as you talk me to sleep. Every single day.
My ears hear your heart when I wake in the night and have to lie with my head on your chest, before I will trust sleep to envelop me again. Not every single day. But sometimes and when I'm poorly. Because I just want you.

How lucky am I to have such love. That all of these things and much more happen to me.
Every single day.
Because of you.
I love you, Daddy.




For my part, as Elin's Mummy, don't even get me started on how I feel about how lucky we all are to have Paul in our lives. I've said it before, public display's of affection aren't really my bag, but if they were, I could write pages on how the girls are the most fortunate girls in the universe to have him as their Dad. I am pretty lucky too, to have him as a husband and I never forget it -just don't tell him that ok? :-)

Well blog reader I hope your day was as good as ours, a lovely lunch out (Elin sat in her chair!) followed by a gorgeous stroll on the Horseshoe Pass. Perfect. Happy Father's Day, folks!





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig