Living with Cerebral Palsy 🍋🍋

Monday 9 September 2013

Autumn day's when the grass is jewelled......

Well it's the second week in September and Autumn is fast approaching. My slippers have replaced my birkenstocks, I'm thinking about putting the leccy blanket on the bed and yesterday Paul lit the first fire. I'm glad. I love Autumn. It's my favourite season. Obviously I like the sun and the Summer- who doesn't? But I sometimes feel the gap between 'normal' (I use that word very cautiously) family life and our life more readily in the Summer. Summer is a time for getting out and about, for day trips, visits, swims at the seaside, holidays, sunbathing, spending time in a beer garden, going to the park. Stuff that can be hard for us, especially if Elin is not in the mood to sit/travel.  It can feel like we're missing out, it can make me think about what we could be doing. There is not a more dangerous phrase for your psyche, believe me, than one which starts with 'If only......'. So Summer, despite it's advantages, can be difficult for me. Not so with Autumn. The first time it's dark before eight, I feel like celebrating. I woke up this morning and noticed the leaves on the tree outside our bedroom window had just started to turn. We are surrounded by tree's and Autumn is simply stunning by us. I was elated. You see, Autumn and Winter narrow the gap. It's beginning to get cold, windy, rainy. Most families enjoy snuggling up together, not going very far, spending a lot of time indoors. Like us. Our way of life becomes the 'norm' for everyone and in simple terms it just makes me feel better. Less guilty over things I should be attempting to do, less sad when we try and Elin does not enjoy them, less distraught that we cannot have the day out we would ordinarily have chosen, less introspective about the could-have beens- for all of us as a family. Oh- also, Elin looks pretty cute in a wooly hat :-) So, hello Autumn I missed you and the comforting crunch of the leaves beneath my feet and the sight of my breath in the air. By next Easter I will forget how I feel about you and I will be silently pleading for the Summer to arrive so I can pack away my UGG boots and get some Vitamin C into my skin. But for now, our love affair shall continue toward Christmas, my absolute favourite time of year bar none...but that's another story....
"Autumn days when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chesnut shell
Jet-Planes meeting in the air to be re-fuelled
All the things I love so well
So I musn't forget, no I musn't foget
To say a great big THANK YOU
I mustn't foget"
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig