Living with Cerebral Palsy 🍋🍋

Friday 12 October 2018

Rainbow bright

"The greater your storm, the brighter your rainbow" said an inspirational quote I once saw on a wooden plaque hanging in a gift shop. Unlike some inspirational quotes, it didn't cause me to snort sarcastically and roll my eyes so far into the back of my head they almost disappeared. Because it's true, isn't it? The harder you've had things, the more you appreciate the good times. Well, this is definitely true of us anyway and basically the premise of this blog really, so I have never forgotten that saccharine but spot-on little saying.  I think as humans we instinctively search for justifications and answers to bad things that happen, so this saying fits in with that psyche. Today, it is as relevant to us as ever. Exactly three years ago we left Children's Ward after yet another admission. The nurses- who felt more like friends by this point- had made me the usual tea and toast in the morning, whilst I had groggily dressed inside our 'cube' room. The beeping of the monitors attached to Elin all night echoed through my memory like a never-ending reversing bin lorry that was flattening my sanity.
I couldn't, then, count how many times we had stayed over in hospital with Elin. I'd be interested to know actually. I do know that by the time she was twelve weeks old, we had spent seven of them in hospital. This set an unwelcome precedent for the next seven years of her life. It utterly blows my mind that there are some parents out there who have never entered a hospital ward with their child, such was the normality of the situation to us. First name terms with all the staff and a knowledge of the doctors rota's more accurate than their own (probably).  Let's not forget the ambulance rides and the times we were blue-lighted into A&E because that was LOADS of fun! Once, I did and ambulance call and run to hospital solo as Paul was away visiting family for the weekend. I didn't tell him until he got home because I knew it would ruin his trip and had to avoid his phone calls for 24 hours so he wouldn't guess where we were!! So even ambulance rides lost their vice-like grip of terror on us in the end. I suppose it's true that you can get used to anything if you deal with it long enough.
The thing is, one your child has been rushed by ambulance to hospital (normally because of seizures in Elin's case) and you have taken a call from the school to tell you to get there as fast as you can, it becomes very difficult to ever relax again. You are on high alert constantly. For years, the generic ring of a mobile phone in my proximity would set my heart pounding. I felt that my mind was always elsewhere. It was with Elin.
How lucky we were during this period to enjoy the care of the staff on Children's Ward. Some of these same staff, by the way, still follow this blog and even contributed to the stunning £1,400 we collected for charity in the name of Elin's 10th birthday. They cared about us, even in the malaise of the ravaged, busy, exhausted days working in the confines of terminally compromised NHS. These staff ( and the school staff too)  were the singular reason we made it through that period of time without losing our minds. I'm not sure if everyone that ever made a fuss of Elin on that ward, or greeted us with such open familiarity and constantly took time out of their day to reassure and look after us, truly knew the impact of their actions. It was huge.
So, three years ago today we were discharged from the ward after a bug/breathing difficulties for Elin. We left our favourite cube, waved to our favourite nurses on the way out (they were all our favourite!) and joked we hoped we wouldn't see them again too soon. We didn't. We haven't had a single hospital admission since then.
This luck is extraordinary, just like Elin. We were told quite categorically by a consultant at Alder Hey when she was four months old that Elin would spend a (short) life yo-yoing in and out of hospital and for a while it seemed like this may be the case. But it seems a different lifetime now, I can barely remember that feeling of continual anxiety. It's so freeing, to be able to release the day to day worry that we carried around like a weight on our shoulders. But, it's never quite far away either.  I don't think we'll ever feel that those days won't ever return because we are far too superstitious to assume. We know how quickly things can change for children as vulnerable as Elin. We can only hope, be thankful, once again marvel at the amazing strength and resilience of our little fighter and make lemonade while the sun shines. God knows life has served us enough lemons.
October 12th 2015. Last Children's Ward admission. 

Have a wonderful weekend folks. Stay hopeful.
xxxxxx


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Thanks to Dr Williams I am so mush happy today, I have been suffering from cervical dystonia for the past 8 years now, and i have spent a lot on western drugs which has all proved abortive, i have tried all means in life to become dystonia free , but there was no answer until i decided to try herbal solution and i found Dr Williams online and i contacted him and after I took his medication as instructed, i am now completely free from dystonia within one month of usage, i am so much happy, thanks to Dr Williams for helping me get my life back again without any form of crisis, i promise to tell your name and good deeds to the whole world,if you have dystonia you can always go through his website on dystoniacure.blogspot.com for more information ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My herpes is cured and it's miracle healing. Thanks to Dr. Sam who cure my Genital Herpes

      I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. I thought about my Family, how they will feel if they knew, i was also felling pains in my Anus and vagina. I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found about Dr. Sam on how he cured a lady with natural herbs, I decided to contact him through his mobile number, i also wrote him letter through his email address. he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he prepared a herbal remedy and send to me,when i received it, i started taking it as directed. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Sam herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to God and very happy with my and very happy with my hubby and family. You can contact him through his email address on Email: supremecurehome@gmail.com
      Whatsapp/Call: +2347087462033
      His website: http://www.supremecurehome.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know how to do something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on blog-site so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have dystonia. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my dystonia status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for me,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from cervical dystonia within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Karen from Canada, I once suffered from cervical dystonia,for more than 30 years , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly had jerky head movements and muscles contract ,this ailment was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 30 years, this was really a terrible ailment ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs Jessica on how her daughter was been cured from cervical dystonia through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it for 1 months as prescribed by Dr Williams and i was totally cured within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again for more information you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from dystonia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered dystonia and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony of so many people who was cured from dystonia and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of the doctor who had the herbal cure to dystonia . I never imagined dystonia has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. dystonia has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .

    ReplyDelete
  5. My herpes is cured and it's miracle healing. Thanks to Dr. Sam who cure my Genital Herpes

    I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. I thought about my Family, how they will feel if they knew, i was also felling pains in my Anus and vagina. I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found about Dr. Sam on how he cured a lady with natural herbs, I decided to contact him through his mobile number, i also wrote him letter through his email address. he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he prepared a herbal remedy and send to me,when i received it, i started taking it as directed. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Sam herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to God and very happy with my and very happy with my hubby and family. You can contact him through his email address on Email: supremecurehome@gmail.com
    Whatsapp/Call: +2347087462033
    His website: http://www.supremecurehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig